In a previous post I spoke about a trip to Chicago, but in that article I was more focused on a great tech tour . This time I want to focus on the great city itself, so here we go!
Chicago...Each city has its own distinct feel, and Chicago, with its vibrant waterways, lakes and architecture has an almost European feel to it. Oh and did I mention the food?
Whenever I leave the windy city I know that I havent seen a fraction of all there is to see!
Top 12 Favorite things to do
3) For those of you who like to bike or hike – Did you know that Chicago was voted the number one bike friendly city in the U.S. by Cycling magazine? Try the Lakefront trail!
Both Bike and Roll Chicago and Bobby’s Tike Hike give you the option of purchasing infant/toddler tickets which include special equipment such as child seats, a front mounted gazelle cabby, and trailer carriers. They even have tag-a-long attachments that allow kids to participate in the peddling experience without straining to keep up! #KidsFavorite Bobby’s Tike Hike: Kid’s Edition
Bike Chicago has many locations in Chicago. For all locations: http://bikechicago.com/locations/
Bobbys Tike Hike is located at: Lake Shore Drive & Ohio Street, 540 N. Lake Shore Drive Chicago, Illinois
Chicago, IL 60605
5) The Adler Planetarium: Another place to visit while on Lake Shore Drive: On May 12, 1930 the planetarium opened its doors for the first time and it was the first modern planetarium in the Western Hemisphere. It has one of the world’s finest collections of antique astronomical instrument & some of the oldest artifacts date back to the twelfth century.#Science *Note: it also has a great view of the skyline! #KidsFavorite
Museum Campus, 1300 S Lake Shore Dr, Chicago, IL
6) The Art Institute of Chicago: A must see! Voted the top Museum in the World According to Millions of Reviews and Opinions from TripAdvisor Travelers!
111 South Michigan Avenue
7) Shop on the Magnificent Mile – For those that love to shop, there is an abundance of shops boutiques and major department stores on the mile! The Magnificent Mile is located in the 13-block stretch of North Michigan Avenue that runs from the banks of the Chicago River to the south, to Oak Street to the north.
112 E Upper Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL
9) The Views of the city. I have more than one favorite place to go to view the skyline and shore!
- The Sky Deck Ledge : On the 103rd floor of the Willis Tower’ formerly known as the Sears Tower, the Willis Tower is one of the tallest buildings in the world . The Ledge is a glass balcony that extend four feet outside the 103rd floor of Willis Tower! #KidsFavorite
- Signature Room
For a view that tops the observation towers go to the Signature Room for drinks, appetizers, or a meal. (the open bar side is better) This restaurant was given the 2014 Michelin Guide Recommendation, received the Trip Adviser Certificate of Excellence, AAA Approved Diamond Rated and is the 2014: Chicago Reader, Best of Chicago Reader’s Pick . But as for me, the food is great and I will gladly skip the observation tower and head to the 96th floor of this location for the best views of Chicago!
- 360 Chicago Observation deck, Formerly the John Hancock Observatory at 875 N. Michigan Avenue. Amazing views of the city and a must see! Check out the Tilt!
- For both a great view and lots of fun visit the Navy Pier
If you are there for its debut at the 2016 CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION in 2016, be sure and ride the new 196 foot Navy Pier Ferris Wheel!
With its activities, rides and events the navy pier is fun for the whole family! #KidsFavorite
- Rent a bike or take a walk along the Lake Shore Drive path for some great views!
Here are some places recommended by others to view the skyline!
- The Wit Hotel Roof
- The Terrace at Trump Tower
- Studio Paris
- Vertigo Sky Lounge
- Park Grill
- Gene’s Sausage Shop
- Pegasus Rooftop
- Sheffield’s Beer Garden
- Moody’s Pub
10) The Chicago Childrens Museum Their mission statement says it all! “to improve children’s lives by creating a community where play and learning connect” This is Located at the Navy Pier
700 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, IL
11) Garfield Park Conservatory is one of the largest and extraordinary conservatories in the nation. It is often referred to as “landscape art under glass.” Kids and adults alike will marvel at the waterfall and gorgeous stone and water elements in the Fern Room. 300 N. Central Park Ave. Chicago, Illinois
12) Bonus Just for the kids from ages 3 to 10 years old, a close place to visit in is LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Chicago. It is a LEGO® family attraction with rides, 4D cinema and a variety of top LEGO attractions.
LEGOLAND® Discovery Center, Chicago
Streets of Woodfield
601 N. Martingale Road (Intersection of Higgins Road and Martingale Road near Woodfield Mall)
My Favorite ways to get around in Chicago.
One of the most used transit methods in Chicago is on the ‘L’ Here is the website to find out which train to take and more!
Need a mobile friendly version to track your route?
Its easy to get around the city using the Uber service!
Or if you would rather take the bus?
If you have great wireless service like I do with #Verizon then download the mobile apps for these methods of transport!