When I first received this copper mug to review, I was thinking to myself, whats so special about a mug? Yes copper has always been one of my favorite metals, but still.
I went into the experience with the belief that I would be underwhelmed. After all, a mug is a mug is it not? Not!
Read on to find what I think is an elegant addition to my household and a much needed gift idea for everyone on my holiday list!
First a few quick facts:
- Product name: Copper Barrel Mug for Moscow Mules
- 16 ounces made of 100% copper – no stainless steel or nickel lining
- Company: Alchemade
- Keeps your Moscow Mule, or other drinks cold
- Price: Current price $17.99 on amazon
- Website: Alchemade Copper Barrel Mug for Moscow Mules
Keeps drinks cool and refreshing while looking spectacular! Ginger beer, real ginger ale and Moscow mules tasted much better to me in this mug than in both my traditional glass mug or another copper mug that was lined inside with silver plating.
It also kept my drink colder, for a longer amount of time that the other two mugs.
I especially appreciated the feel of the mug. I was able to comfortably and securely hold the mug. It has a sturdy yet lightweight feel and the handle was easy to wrap my fingers around. Unlike some mugs, the handle is not built too close to the body of the cup . This makes it easily held despite ones hand size.
And yes, it looks beautiful hanging on my mug tree and sitting on my counter!
Fill it with your favorite cold beverage, add ice and enjoy!
More About the Mug
- It measures 3.5″ high x 3.75″ wide, excluding the handle
- It has a Food-safe lacquer that resists tarnishing
- The mug is not microwave or dishwasher safe
- It has a seamless hygienic interior
- The mug is constructed of 100% Pure Copper. *There is no stainless steel or nickel lining.
- This is the mug of choice when serving the infamous Moscow Mule
- Hand Wash the mug as pure copper is easily tarnished and should be washed with water and soap only.
The company maintains that your questions will be answered within 24 Hrs.
Alchemade guarantees the quality of the product, and if the mug comes with any damage, they will replace it
– After each use, clean with warm water and soft soap. No hard chemicals or detergents.
– Dry the copper mug with a soft cloth.
– To avoid staining, do not leave your drink in the mug overnight
– The mug is not dishwasher safe
– Do not use it in the microwave
– Do not use with hot beverages
Who Is this Product For?
For those who enjoy the beauty of copper. Both rustic and chic at the same time, these mugs make a great gift and if needed, can be tastefully engraved by the company.
Not only for use as an individual gift, I think that this would make a great wedding addition. A wedding couple could use these as great drink mugs for the wedding party, or at the reception for the entire guest list as a gift from the bride and groom to the attendees. (Engraved or not)
Or for those who just enjoy drinking the ever popular cocktail called “The Moscow mule.” (see the recipe below) It is claimed that using a copper mug unleashes the perfect flavor of the drink!
After a neighbor saw me using the mug, she decided to purchase it as a gift for her significant other. So she created a personalized gift basket and included the copper mug along with ginger beer, vodka, organic limes and stirring spoons. She also attached the recipe for the Moscow mule.
Who Should Not Get the product?
If you don’t like copper or softer metals and the naturally occurring imperfections, then you wont be happy with this product.
This mug is not a good fit for a toddler : ) (Bang Bang)
Pros & Cons
- 100% hammered copper – no silver or nickel lining
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Keeps beverages cold
- A Moscow Mule Must Have!
- Great for gifting
- Under $20
- Good customer support & return policy
- Tarnishes as it is copper
- Copper is a soft metal so dents and scrapes can happen
- Cannot use with hot beverages
- Cannot clean in the dishwasher
- Price. While competitive it is not a inexpensive item
All in all, after hours use of this product, it has retained its copper shine. While there may be slight marks on the mug, this is true of any copper product and gives the implement a natural and rustic yet elegant look.
I also received this product with Moms of America’s logo engraved on the hammered copper. Though not a fan of engraving, I was surprised to actually like the subtle and textured quality of the logo on the copper. I use the word subtle as the drawing and letters of the logo did not detract from the stylish look of the mug. *You can see in my image at the top of this review that the mug on the left is engraved with the Moms of America logo.
It is a great looking cup for larping, gifting, or simply enjoying in your backyard, sitting back with a cool drink, a smile on your face and raising the cup in a silent or spoken cheer to ghosts of Moscow mules past.
Now if the sound of you cheering out loud doesn’t draw the neighbors attention, I found that the mugs were a great conversation starter. Everyone wanted to know where I purchased the mugs and loved that they were made from 100% hammered copper.
If you would like to know more about the copper mug then here are some links below! (*Note, I am not compensated by click-throughs or purchases!)
Links for the mug
And for the custom engraved mug:
So what the heck is “The Moscow Mule”
The Moscow Mule, also known as a Vodka buck, is a cocktail made with vodka, spicy ginger beer, and lime juice, and is garnished with a slice or wedge of lime. It is usually served in a copper mug.
According to Alchemade, “Although there is debate about the beginnings of the Moscow Mule, there is no debate about its lasting legacy.
Some say the inventors had a stroke of genius, while others claim it was simply created in an effort to go through a plentiful stash of both vodka and ginger beer.
Whether it was a marketing effort or a stroke of luck, we’re convinced it was the mug that made the mule.“
Moscow Mule Recipe
Fill your copper mug with ice
Pour in 1.5 – 2 oz of vodka
Fill with 4 – 6 oz of cold ginger beer
Squeeze lime juice into Moscow Mule Mug
Garnish with a wedge of lime
Though I was compensated for trying this product and writing a review, the words are my own. An honest evaluation, with my own opinions and words, was what was promised. I am not compensated for click-throughs for this product.